Thursday, May 25, 2006

Vilnius, Lithuania: Another day, another country

I'm back in Lithuania after catching the bus down to the capital city of Vilnius from Riga today. Had a minor panic when the bus driver almost drove off from the border checkpoint without my passport, because I was the only one of the bus that had to have it stamped, everyone else was Lithuanian, so the guard had taken it to stamp it and the bus driver didn'trealize and thought we were done. That was a bit of a fright but luckily my frantic calls of "my passport" and flailing arms were enough to halt the bus!

Vilnius seems really nice, I haven't seen a lot yet but the old town looks quite large and very scenic. There is also apparently a bohemian artsy area which has declared itself an independent republic, so I am keen to check that out tomorrow.

Hmm, I don't really have much else to tell. I have been pretty dull really when it comes to socializing or going out but I'm not the sort to go to a bar on my own and in the hostels I have been in they have either been quiet with nice people or I haven't really clicked with people enough to hit the town with them. It's a shame, because the drinks are quite cheap and there are some interesting sounding local spirits.

But yeah, another night, another hostel, more blisters, but more knowledge every day. It's definately an adventure to tell the grandkids about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home