Friday, June 23, 2006

Austria: How do you solve a problem like a hostel full of American schoolkids?

How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

Sorry... Sound of Music mania. The hostel I am staying at here in Salzburg is hosting literally hundreds of American schoolchildren here for some sort of choral festival, so when you go to use the bathroom it is full of 15 year old girls staightening their hair, applying glitter mascara and squealing "oh my god" a lot and giggling. Argh. They also talk really loudly in the corridors... and that includes the teachers. One of the parent helpers was fussing about going "apparently someone complained about the noise last night... I didnt hear any noise"... she said this so loudly I could hear her from across the common area.

At least the included breakfast is good. It even has eggs, which is immensely exciting. I ate so much breakfast today I wasnt hungry until 4pm. Gotta save when you can save!

I went for a really long walk this morning and did my Sound of Music tour this arvo. The tour was OK, the scenery was really beautiful but some of the other people on the tour were annoying. Like the Southern Dames who didnt get off the bus at most of the stops and were whinging about alamony money and the heat (hello, dont come on holiday in summer if you cant take it, the weather is fairly mild at the moment!)... there were also the overenthusiastic middle ages Australians who loudly went "ah ha" "mm hmm" "oh really" everytime the guide said something as if he was talking to them personally rather than a whole coach load of people. There were a few cool cats though, and I talked to the randoms anyway. A Californian woman couldnt believe "a little baby like me" had been away from home for so long and was travelling on my own. At first I didnt know whether to be offended... like, had I acted like a baby at any stage of the Sound of Music tour? I thought I had maintained my cynical aloofness in true university arts student style. I mean, yes, I may have mouthed a few of the words to So Long Farewell and Do Re Mi, but everyone else on the bus was singing outright... I thought I had maintained my maturity and dignity. Then I realized it was probably only an expression and I didnt need to feel so defensive... I think it was because of the naff-ness of the tour that my independent traveller status felt slightly dented by the remark.

But I know why I chose to go it alone this time in Europe and why I never considered Contiki or Busabout or any of the other run of the mill Australians travelling Europe things. Four hours in a tour bus was enough for me, I could never do Contiki (as a certain Scottish lad at the hostel in Cesky Krumlov put it "Contiki and Busabout are for people who want to pretend to be backpackers. Its travel for pussies"). I agree in some respects...

But anyway, a more pressing issue is where to watch the football tonight. It seems most places are showing the Japan Brazil match rather than Australia Croatia. And Salzburg doesnt have many pub options, and it is currently pouring down with rain. Ah well, I will have to continue investigations, I have a couple of hours until kick off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home