Friday, June 09, 2006

Hungary: Is this the lesson?

The more you learn, the main thing that you learn is that you don't really know much at all.

Went to the House of Terror museum this morning, and it was very interesting. A lot of the story here is similar to the other former Soviet countries I have visited, but every country's story does differ and the way they choose to present it in each place is also very different. Here, the House of Terror was very multimedia based and also quite artistic in presentation. The story though was compelling and thought provoking.

I always find myself leaving these museums with a head full of questions though... I'd probably wikipedia some stuff right now if it wasn't for the fact I am paying to access the net, and the sun is shining outside and I wish to bask in it.

Unfortunately, I have to do my laundry at some stage today, and since the laundromat closes at 6pm, I will have to sacrfice some sun basking and sightseeing to do it, because I do try to not be a smelly backpacker if at all possible, but sometimes it can't be helped.

But it's funny what you miss on the road... even a fairly low maintenance girl like myself can befin to crave a few simple indulgences. A suitable mirror for one to pluck their eyebrows isn't something you would immediately think of as a necessity, but after a few weeks on the road it can become a dire situation. I'm also thinking I should have got my hair trimmed before leaving London because it is in a pretty sorry state after surviving half an Australian summer, the brunt of an English winter, and now the backpacker lifestyle where you are lucky to get a decent shower, let alone access to a bathroom where you can properly attend to the state of your split ends.

Ah well, tis life. How did this entry turn from commentary on my personal ignorance and the terrible knock on effects of the Soviet era in Eastern Europe to shallow observations on the lack of luxury in hostels. We truly are living in a material world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home