Thursday, July 27, 2006

London: Parting is such sweet sorrow

I'm at Heathrow waiting for my flight back to Australia to start boarding. This whole thing finished the same way it started really... me on a Piccadilly line tube on my own with a massive backpack and grey drizzly skies outside. Except this time it was hot outside rather than freezing. And this time I was leaving a city I loved rather than arriving in a city I knew nothing about.

The last few days have been a lot of fun. We went to Bath, where we enjoyed it's loveliness greatly. We paid to go in to a Jane Austen museum which turned out to be really crappy, basically an overpriced tourist trap. Soph was excited... but then dissapointed as the only Colin Firth as Mark Darcy reference was the poster at the front door. Basically it chronicled every house Jane had stayed in for the entire 5 years she lived in Bath. Wow. It even had a crappy video with this chick walking around randomly in a purple sweater providing minimal narration but getting her face in every shot possible. You just had to see it, I'm sorry.

So from this we hatched an ingenious plan while sitting in the garden in the middle of the famous Circus. We made a sign that said "Jane Austen was here" and in every photo we took in Bath, we held the sign. I shall post the evidence when I return to Oz. We thought it was hilarious.

Jane Austen even followed us back to our crazy hostel in Bath, which had crazy coloured walls and beds that were named after celebrities. I was Whitney Housten. Shame I can't sing, and I wouldn't say my alcohol problem could compare to Whitney's either. But hey, the crazy paintwork kind of disguised the way the walls were crumbling... sorta...

Back in London on Tuesday and it was time for goodbye drinks at O'Neils in Harrow. It was a good laugh, nice to catch up with people, sad to say goodbye to them. We went to Trinity, Harrow's indie club for a bit of a dance but didn't stay until closing time like usual, we had to catch the last tube back to our hostel. So it was goodbye to Harrow, but in true Harrow style the night was a lot of fun rather than melancholy... a good time was had by Australians and English alike. Our team, titled "Jane Austen was here (ask the Aussies)" even managed to come second in Big Dave's Big Quiz at the pub despite rubbishing our way through most of the questions and even not hearing some of them due to our own loud talking. Jane Austen got around Harrow as well, I think my uni friends thought Soph, Roz and I were slightly nuts. In a lovable kind of way.

So now the sun is setting at Heathrow, my internet credit is expiring, and they have just announced that my flight has been delayed by 15 minutes. Beautiful. Farewell London, I will miss you dearly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Assortlist said...

when you cross the street, when you hop on philadelphia bodyrubs from taxi to taxi, when there’s glazed frost on the pavement, and so on.

11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home